Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The DUFF

For a second there, I was considering titling this post Waiting on Wednesday: School but I just couldn't bear to torture myself like that. It's true; I really don't want to go back just yet. It feels like summer's just started!

But I digress.
Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine. It's where yet-to-be-released books are given the spotlight--so other readers can salivate over gorgeous covers and begging to be read summaries. Plus, anything that involves an enticing new discovery is always a good thing in my books (har har).

My pick for this week is The DUFF by Kody Keplinger.


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Ah, I can just imagine the whip-smart dialogue, dramatic scenes and a chunky hunk of substance (no pun intended). I've been on the prowl for some edgy contemporary YA, so finding out about this one had me practically farting rainbows.

Except I wasn't nearly as impressive as this guy.

And the best part? The DUFF is releasing on September 7th, 2010! Which is NEXT WEEK. This means we all have a legitimate excuse to ditch school--I mean, have a nice pick-me-up after the requisite Welcome-Back lectures.

Okay, so maybe you don't go to school, or school has already started, or you're done school (LUCKY YOU)--then call in sick, take advantage of post-summer confusion and pretend you thought it was still summer, or just skip the deceit and spread the word!

So what were your picks this week?

1 comments:

Jill said...

Welcome to WoW...I'm so glad you're participating!!